6.20.2011

Hoke S Archer, Sr.

Last Tuesday, June 14th, my great-grandfather passed away. He would have been 95 years old on Christmas day. Granddaddy was such a special man and he was loved by so many people. His wife, my Mamaw Archer, is still living and is really having a difficult time with the loss of her husband of 75 years. I cannot even begin to imagine what she is going through. For the last year Granddaddy has been living in a nursing home and Mamaw would spend each and every day sitting by his side, going home only to sleep. That has all changed now and I'm not sure how she is coping with being at home and not having the opportunity to visit Granddaddy anymore.  Over the Christmas holidays, Chris and I were able to take Avery to meet her Great-Great-Grandparents and were thrilled to be able to take a 5 generations picture. How cool is that!? It is very rare to be able to experience 5 generations in one room together. We are so glad that Avery was able to meet Granddaddy before his passing. I look forward to one day being able to explain the significance of that day to my sweet baby girl.


5 generations!!!
Mamaw and Granddaddy Archer, PawPaw, Dad, me and Avery
A moment I will always cherish!


The viewing was held on Wednesday, June 15th and the funeral was Thursday morning. It was a very special time with family as we remembered and celebrated Granddaddy's life. It's strange how a funeral can be some what of a family renunion at the same time. I was able to see so many family members that I haven't seen in a very long time and they were able to meet Avery for the first time... it's just sad that we had to reunite because of Granddaddy's passing away.

His legacy will remain living on-
75 years of marriage
4 children
14 grandchildren
22 great-grandchildren 
3 great-great children


We will miss you, Granddaddy!!
December 25, 1916 - June 14, 2011

1 comment:

Mom said...

Thank you, Abby. This is a beautiful tribute to Granddaddy. He will be greatly missed.
Love you!