6.14.2011

out of my comfort zone...

This past weekend I nursed Avery in public for the first time in 7.5 months. Sure, I've nursed her on an airplane before, but that is still fairly secluded in the back of the plane and next to the window. This weekend I nursed her in a Starbucks and in the Fontainebleau Hotel Lobby. Don't worry, I still tried to find to most private area in both locations and was quite successful. I found the back corner of the Starbucks and was able to turn the chair away from the rest of the store and nursed Avery there. The next day, we were walking around the Fontainebleau hotel and Avery decided she didn't like the thawed milk I took, so again, I had to find a somewhat secluded area to nurse. Thankfully, the Fontainebleau is HUGE and the lobby was so spacious and had a bar area, so I went to the side of the bar behind a big column and nursed her there. I just kept reminding myself that I was in Miami and nursing your baby is public is probably NOTHING compared to everything else you see in public.... which turned out to be true when we saw a very plus sized lady walking through the lobby in a thong. (No offense to Miami!!) SO, there is my story of finally having to step out of my comfort zone and nurse Avery in public for the first time. It wasn't that bad, but I still prefer privacy when I can have it!

5 comments:

Sarah said...

Good for you! Yeah, the thong will really make breast feeding seem like no biggie. I BFed in public with a nursing cover until she was several months and would just pull it off her head. Haha. Then I'd just sit in the car and do it before heading in somewhere. I'm like you: I like my privacy. I'm not whipping my girls out for everyone to see, I don't care how "natural" it is!

Kimberly and Jordan said...

Yes, lots of atrocious things in public besides breastfeeding. Did you love my blog on BF?! I wish that I could be more bold. At least people are still seeing that it's done, even with our cute covers:)

Janna said...

Ha! You'll get over this real quick with your second one :) I don't think I ever nursed Lucy in public. Annie has gotten nursed in public quite a bit :)

Janna said...

always with a nursing cover of course....had to add that in :)

Emily Piribek said...

Abby, you should get a hotter hider, i breastfeed everywhere and im so comfortable doing it because of the hooter hider. its amazing!